设置hmailserver的公共主机名

灰暗的星星灰暗的星星灰暗的星星灰暗的星星灰暗的星星

Public Host Name for this Computer in Settings

•  

Post by mansonasp » 2007-09-08 00:05

This one probably seems a bit dumb. I have installed Hmailserver on a private machine in the data centre. The domain is http://www.nevasoftware.com and the MX records for it point to the IP address of my server however himailserver is warning me that:

You haven't specified the public host name for this computer in the SMTP settings.

However I cannot tell where to go within Administration to accomplish this. Help appreciated.

:(

g0yjs0
Senior user
Senior user

•  

Post by g0yjs0 » 2007-09-08 01:23

Open hMailServer Administrator.
Go to: Settings | Protocols | SMTP.
Click on the "Delivery of e-mail" tab.
Fill-in the "hostname" field.

hmale
New user
New user

Re: Public Host Name for this Computer in Settings

•  

Post by hmale » 2008-05-06 02:17

Is the Public Host name supposed to be the public ip of the hmail server or the hostname please?

Thanks
Hmale
mattg

•  

Post by mattg » 2008-05-06 02:29

hmale wrote:Is the Public Host name supposed to be the public ip of the hmail server or the hostname please?
Perhaps you could check the documentation, after all that's why it is there.

Matt
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

schram12
New user
New user

•  

Post by schram12 » 2010-12-31 20:48

:shock: I thought this was a forum for asking such questions. If the documentation was written for all levels of user, this forum would not be necessary.

Obviously the public host name is placed in this field. But, I believe he is asking where does one get the public host name? This is not covered in the documentation as it is probably somewhat public knowledge. Unfortunately, only a small part of the public has this knowledge.

I would like to ask the same question. Any answers?

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

•  

Post by Bill48105 » 2010-12-31 21:33

schram12,
The thread was over 2 years old so I have a feeling everyone had moved on.. :D It is always best to create your own thread & link to this thread or others you think might be related/helpful..

Anyhow IMO: I have a feeling if one plans to run a mail server they should have a clue what a host name is, how to get/set it etc. ;)

Now to answer your question: normally YOU set your hostname in DNS.. Usually there is a web admin you log into & create records. Normally you add an A record where you define your HOST NAME for your mail server. Like mail.yourdomain.com or smtp.yourdomain.com or whatever.yourdomain.com. Then you create MX record with that HOST NAME and some priority # which often people default to 10 but doesn't really matter so much especially if you only make 1 MX record.

So the answer is you SET your hostname yourself normally & should know it like your own name.. Btw technically your domain name is your root/base host name & could USUALLY be used depending on your setup. If you don't run your DNS yourself or have access to an admin then either your ISP (or whoever manages it for you) likely creates default host names or dns records you use or you contact them to ask them what they are or set but think that setup is quite rate as most hosts/isps want you to be self-sufficient as labor/support is costly to them.

Also, if your reverse dns ptr is setup properly (as commonly accepted) you should be able to get your hostname by typing from CMD prompt:
nslookup YOUR.PUBLIC.IP.ADDRESS <ENTER>

That is because it is best practice (as in commonly accepted but not 'law') to contact your ISP & ask them to set it to resolve to your hostname. If you haven't done so then odds are that nslookup would likely be some random host name that follows some pattern, likely with your IP used somehow and often your mail will be blocked/filtered if left that way.

Anyway hopefully that answers the host name questions thoroughly but to be honest anyone should have been able to find all of the above in 10-30 seconds with google & a little effort vs 15 minutes of me or someone else here volunteering to type out readily available info. (Granted I ramble & make 2 min reply turn into 15 but that is besides the point. lol) Yes the forum is helpful to fill in the gaps where docs/searches come up short but maybe try to show a little effort in covering the basics before posting eh. ;)

Well nuff ranting. lol Happy New Year and cheers!
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

^DooM^
Site Admin

•  

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-12-31 22:02

If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ
mattg

•  

Post by mattg » 2011-01-01 03:33

schram12 wrote::shock: I thought this was a forum for asking such questions. If the documentation was written for all levels of user, this forum would not be necessary.

Obviously the public host name is placed in this field. But, I believe he is asking where does one get the public host name? This is not covered in the documentation as it is probably somewhat public knowledge. Unfortunately, only a small part of the public has this knowledge.

I would like to ask the same question. Any answers?
And now for my favourite link in all of the documentation...

Please see technical knowledge at the bottom of this page http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... quirements

As Bill says
Bill48105 wrote:So the answer is you SET your hostname yourself normally & should know it like your own name.. Btw technically your domain name is your root/base host name & could USUALLY be used depending on your setup.
Something like 'mail.yourdomain.com' is usually adequate.

BTW I think I answered the OP's question, and linked to the appropriate page of the documentation.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

maxunique
New user
New user

•  

Post by maxunique » 2018-03-29 13:24

What does it mean SMTP hostname?

I have 3 multiple IPs on the same dedicated server and I want to setup 3 SMTP relays (1 for each IP).

What exactly does the hostname mean? Public DNS name? Then I have 3 different (1 per IP).

Thanks
mattg

•  

Post by mattg » 2018-03-29 15:32

Please start a new thread as per forum rules...

Consider these points in your new thread.

What are you wanting to do, accept mail on three IPs OR send mail from one of three IPS, depending on the sender?
Why do you want to use 3 public IPs?

When you say 'SMTP HOSTNAME' where exactly are you seeing that? I can't see any such named field, but many similarly named fields. Depends on where will change the answer, but typically hostname is literally a FQDN Hostname, like 'mail.example.com'

提交评论

安全码
刷新

自1996年以来,公司一直专注于域名注册、虚拟主机、服务器托管、网站建设、电子商务等互联网服务,不断践行"提供企业级解决方案,奉献个性化服务支持"的理念。作为戴尔"授权解决方案提供商",同时提供与公司服务相关联的硬件产品解决方案。

联系方式

地址:河南省郑州市经五路2号

电话:0371-63520088 

QQ:76257322

网站:800188.com

电邮:该邮件地址已受到反垃圾邮件插件保护。要显示它需要在浏览器中启用 JavaScript。

微信:用企业微信联系